National Theatre

As elsewhere in Europe, the origin of the National Museum lies in large donations from private collections, principally natural history collections, owned by arsitocrats living in the country.

Details

National museum

New Town, Václavské náměstí 68. As elsewhere in Europe, the origin of the National Museum lies in large donations from private collections, principally natural history collections, owned by arsitocrats living in the country.

Details

The Sova Mills

The older written record about the existence of mills at the Kampa island is from the year of 1393. The mills, however, had functioned even earlier. After the Hussite wars Kampa island came under the auspices of the Old Town, which donated the island to Vaclav Sova from Liboslav in 1478.

Details

Maisel Synagogue

Staré Město, Maiselova 8 a 10 The Maisel synagogue was built between 1590 and 1592 by the Mayor of the Jewish Town, Mordechai Maisel, who financed the extensive Rennaissance reconstruction of the ghetto.

Details

Pinkas Synagogue

Staré Město, Široká 3 The synagogue is associated with the Horovic family. In 1535, Aron Mešullam Horovic had it built between his house "At the Coat of Arms" and the wall of the Old Jewish Cemetery.

Details

Archbishop´s Palace

Hradčany, Hradčanské náměstí 16 The palace was founded in the 16th century, since when it has undergone many reconstructions. On the site of eight town houses, Florian Gryspek of Gryspach (or Griesbeck of Griesbach), the Secretary of the Czech chamber and confidant of Ferdinand I, built his residence here in 1538.

Details

Betlehem chapel

Staré Město, Betlémské náměstí Built in the Gothic style on a trapezoid ground plan, the chapel was founded by merchants Kriz and Hanuš z Mühlheimu in 1391 as a center of the reform movement.

Details

Daliborka

This tower is located at the end of the Golden Lane. Built as a cylindrical artillery bastion in the hillside above the Jeleni Prikop (Deer Moat) by Benedikt Ried in 1496, it was originally higher but only five stories have been preserved.

Details

Old Town Hall

The Old Town Hall, the centre of municipal administration, was established in 1338 following a privilege of King Jan Lucembursky issued on September 18 of the same year.

Details

Clementinum

Old Town, Křižovnická Street 2 Clementinum is the largest complex of buildings in Prague after the Prague Castle. It was the first Jesuit college in Prague where the order came in the year 1556.

Details

Kramar's Villa

Hradčany, Gogolova 1 Kramar's Villa was constructed where used to stand the Marian fortifications of Prague, specifically the Bastion of St. Thomas.

Details

Queen Anne's Summer Palace (Royal Summer Palace)

The royal (imperial) garden behind the walls of Prague Castle was founded by Ferdinand I. In 1538 he started to build a summer palace for his wife Anne Jagiellonian but she didn’t live to see its completion as she died after the childbirth of her 15th child in 1547.

Details

New-Town Hall

The first mention of the town hall dates from 1377. It already had two floors, which survive in the structure today. In the section nearest the square was an official space for city business; in that facing Vodickova street were offices and a prison.

Details

Municipal House

Staré Město, náměstí Republiky 5 The Municipal House is located in the place of a former royal residence called “King`s Court” which was built around 1383 during the reign of Vaclav IV.

Details

Kinsky Palace

Staré Město, Staroměstské náměstí 11 a 12 This rococo palace was built according to the project of Anselmo Lurago or Kilian Ignac Dientzenhofer in the years 1755 to 1765 for Jan Arnošt Golz (Golč).

Details

Trojský Chateau

This is one of the most beautiful chateaux in Bohemia, dating from 17th century. It can be found in a residential area in Prague, in Trója. The main hall of the chateau is famous for its fresco decorations evoking the victory of The Habsburgs over The Turks near Vienna.

Details

House of the Black Madonna

Wholesaler František Josef Herbst had the oldest Cubist house in Prague built in 1912 according to the project of Josef Gocar who was then 31 years old.

Details

Estates Theatre

By Emperor Josef II`s permission, the theatre was built by enlightened aristocrat, count František Antonín Nostic-Rieneck on his own property. The foundation stone was established on June 7, 1781.

Details

Schwarzenberg Palace

Hradčany, Hradčanské nám. 2 Schwarzenberg Palace is one of the best preserved renaissance palaces in Prague and toghether with the Royal Summerhouse represents the most impressive Prague renaissance buildings.

Details

The Supreme Burgraviate

The Supreme Burgraviate The building is situaded at the end of Jiřská street on its left side. It was built in 1555 as the office of the highest officer of the kingdom - burgrave, who was in charge to deputised the king in case of the king´s absence in the country - actually the burgrave was ruling the country during those periods of time.

Details

Straka Academy

Malá Strana, nábřeží Edvarda Beneše 4 Jan Petr Straka, Landlord of Nedabylice and Libčany established in his testament in the year 1710 that the family property should be used for education of young men from the bancrupted nobility after the family died out.

Details

Klausen synagugue

Staré Město, U Starého hřbitova 1 The name of the synagogue is derived from the previous building at the same piece of land - it was bought by primate Mordechai Maisel to enlarge the old Jewish cemetery and later hosted a building containing 3 parts, "klausuras" (klaus = cell or room, the word comes from latin claustrum).

Details

The House of a Stone Bell

Staré Město, Staroměstské náměstí Monumental medieval tower-house was originally an early Gothic object which was rebuilt in the 2nd quarter of the 14th century into a municipal palace in a tower shape, probably for the King John of Luxemburg himself.

Details

Informations

Weather in Prague

Updated 01-01-1970 01:00