Old-New synagogue

The Old-New synagogue was built approximately in the middle of the 13th century in the early Gothic style. Originally it was called New or Great Synagogue to be distinguished from the older synagogue which hasn´t been preserved till our time.

Details

Spanish synagogue

In place of the oldest Jewish temple called "Old School", the Spanish synagogue was built in 1868. Designed by architects Vojtěch Ignác Ullmann and Josef Niklas in the Moorish style, it was erected on a square ground plan with a cupola over the centre.

Details

The Old Jewish cemetry

The cemetery was founded in the first half of the 15th century. The oldest tombstone, belonging to the poet and scholar Avigdor Kara, is from 1439. There are almost 12,000 tombstones, but the number of people buried here is certainly higher.

Details

Maisel Synagogue

Staré Město, Maiselova 8 a 10 The Maisel synagogue was built between 1590 and 1592 by the Mayor of the Jewish Town, Mordechai Maisel, who financed the extensive Rennaissance reconstruction of the ghetto.

Details

Pinkas Synagogue

Staré Město, Široká 3 The synagogue is associated with the Horovic family. In 1535, Aron Mešullam Horovic had it built between his house "At the Coat of Arms" and the wall of the Old Jewish Cemetery.

Details

Klausen synagugue

Staré Město, U Starého hřbitova 1 The name of the synagogue is derived from the previous building at the same piece of land - it was bought by primate Mordechai Maisel to enlarge the old Jewish cemetery and later hosted a building containing 3 parts, "klausuras" (klaus = cell or room, the word comes from latin claustrum).

Details

High synagogue

Staré Město Červená 5 The High synagogue was built at the end of 1570s in the high renaissance style as part of the building of Jewish Town Townhall.

Details

Informations

Weather in Prague

Updated 01-01-1970 01:00