Spanish synagogue

In place of the oldest Jewish temple called "Old School", the Spanish synagogue was built in 1868. Designed by architects Vojtěch Ignác Ullmann and Josef Niklas in the Moorish style, it was erected on a square ground plan with a cupola over the centre. The gallery is suspended by steel beams on the three walls. Stucco arabesque and stylish oriental motifs adorn the walls and the woodwork of the doors, railings and the gallery. Between 1836 – 1845, Frantisek Skroup, the composer of the Czech national anthem, played the organ in the still standing Old School.

Informations

Weather in Prague

Updated 01-01-1970 01:00